What to Search
Open Access/Free To Access in republic of Ireland
- PubMed: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed Advanced Search: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/advanced
- The Cochrane Library: http://www.cochranelibrary.com Advanced Search: http://www.cochranelibrary.com
- Trip Database: https://www.tripdatabase.com (please note that the pro version requires a subscription)
HSE West employees with an Athens password can access these resources at the link below. To register for Athens go to the link below and click on "Set up MyAthens Account": http://www.hselibrary.ie/west
To view a more comprehensive list of available resources click here
How to search: database specific guidance
Click on the underlined text links below
MEDLINE (via EBSCO)
The Cochrane Library Search Tour
Embase Quick User Guide
CINAHL Support Centre
Trip Database online tutorials
For information on searching other resources please contact your local librarian at firstname.lastname@example.org (HSE staff) or email email@example.com (non-HSE staff)
How to Design, Evaluate and Report your Search
The resources below will help you to create, develop and document your search:
- Kable AK, Pich J, Maslin-Prothero SE. A structured approach to documenting a search strategy for publication: a 12 step guideline for authors. Nurse Educ Today. 2012;32(8):878-886. Click here for the abstract.
Booth A. "Brimful of STARLITE": toward standards for reporting literature searches. J Med Libr Assoc. 2006 Oct;94(4):421-9, e205. Click here for full text.
- Atkinson KM, Koenka AC, Sanchez CE, Moshontz H, Cooper H. Reporting standards for literature searches and report inclusion criteria: making research syntheses more transparent and easy to replicate. Res Synth Methods. 2015 Mar;6(1):87-95. doi: 10.1002/jrsm.1127. Click here for abstract.
Chandler J, Churchill R, Higgins J, Lasserson T, Tovey D. Methodological Expectations of Cochrane Intervention Reviews (MECIR). Methodological standards for the conduct of new Cochrane Intervention Reviews. Version 2.3. 2013. Click here for full text.
Chandler J, Churchill R, Higgins J, Lasserson T, Tovey D.Methodological Expectations of Cochrane Intervention Reviews (MECIR). Standards for the Reporting of new Cochrane Intervention Reviews. Version 1.1. 2012. Click here for full text.
- Jessie McGowan J, Sampson M, Salzwedel DM, Cogo E, Foerster V & Lefebvre C. PRESS Peer Review of Electronic Search Strategies: 2015 Guideline Statement. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology. Article in Press. Click here for full text.
- Booth, A. Searching for qualitative research for inclusion in systematic reviews: a structured methodological review. Systematic Reviews 2016 5:74. Click here for full text.